Richard S. Cleary
About Rich's Practice
Richard S. Cleary is a partner at Frost Brown Todd LLC firm in the Louisville office. Rich practices in the Labor and Employment Practice Group. He concentrates his practice on representing employers exclusively, including collective bargaining, the litigation of labor claims before the courts, the National Labor Relations Board and arbitral forums, the defense of employment and wage/hour actions, and counseling concerning the labor and employment law implications of corporate restructuring.
Mr. Cleary is a fellow in the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and the first tier in every edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. Mr. Cleary is also listed as one of the top 10 lawyers in the Commonwealth of Kentucky in Kentucky Super Lawyers.
Mr. Cleary has also authored several articles and publications such as the Kentucky Employment Law Letter and those on the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Cleary graduated from the Georgetown University Law Center and received his undergraduate degree in economics from Washington and Lee University.
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1981
- Washington and Lee University, B.A. (Economics), cum laude, 1978
Major Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Editor, Kentucky Employment Law Letter (since 1991)
- Contributing Editor, Midsouth Employment Law Letter
- Quoted, "Expect Labor Policies to Be More Employee-Friendly Under Biden," HR Daily Advisor, November 16, 2020
- Co-editor (2000, 2001, and 2002 Supplements), Associate Editor (1997-1999), Assistant and Contributing Editor (1987-1996), The Developing Labor Law (Bureau of National Affairs)
- Management Co-editor, American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section Newsletter (2002-present)
- Numerous presentations at the Annual and Mid-Winter meetings of the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section
- Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2004)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2003-present)
- Listed in the first tier in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2003-present)
- Listed in the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers for labor and employment (2001-present)
- Listed in Kentucky Super Lawyers; Recognized as one of the "Top 50 Attorneys in Kentucky" (2008-2011)
- Listed in Kentucky Super Lawyers; Recognized as one of the "Top 10 Attorneys in Kentucky" (2011)
Admitted to Practice
Kentucky (1981); District of Columbia (1992); U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky (1981), Eastern District of Kentucky (1989); U.S. Courts of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (1983) and Seventh Circuit (1993); U.S. Supreme Court (1990)