Sarah V. Bowers
Labor & Employment
About Sarah's Practice
Sarah Bowers is a member of the firm’s labor and employment practice that covers the spectrum of issues affecting the employment relationship, employee mobility, compensation and benefits.
After graduating summa cum laude from law school, Sarah spent two years as a law clerk in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. She researched and drafted entries on motions in all stages of litigation and covering diverse areas of state and federal law, including employment discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation; municipal and personal liability under 42 U.S.C. § 1983; and negligence, breach of contract and franchise agreements.
During law school, Sarah was a summer associate at Faegre Baker Daniels and a judicial extern in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. After earning her bachelor’s degree cum laude, she was a seventh grade integrated science teacher for two years with Teach for America in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- J.D., summa cum laude, Indiana Law Review (articles editor) (2013)
- DePauw University
Major Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Editor, Indiana Employment Law Letter
- Author, "IN sheriff's cautionary tale: the 'ever-growing' list of termination rationales," Indiana Employment Law Letter, October 2017, and HR Daily Advisor, November 28, 2017
- Author, "ADA: What makes a job function truly 'essential'?" Indiana Employment Law Letter, August 2016, and HR.BLR.com, September 1, 2016
- Author, "Indiana Court of Appeals holds firm in denying employee's claim for overtime," Indiana Employment Law Letter, April 2016, and HR.BLR.com, May 10, 2016
- Author, "A good refresher on how not to lay off workers," Indiana Employment Law Letter, March 2016, and HR.BLR.com, April 6, 2016
- Author, "The Use of 'Therapy Dogs' in Indiana Courtrooms: Why a Dog Might Not Be a Defendant’s Best Friend,"46 Ind. L. Rev. 1289, 2013.
- American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition — Advocate, 2012-13
- Honorable Robert H. Staton Intramural Moot Court Competition — Order of the Barristers, 2011
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana