Jeremy M. Brenner
About Jeremy's Practice
Jeremy Brenner combines his human resources and legal experience to provide businesses with a unique perspective on the challenges they face in the workplace.
In his employment law practice, Jeremy represents employers and managers in disputes involving current and former employees, such as state and federal claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, and ADA and FMLA violations. Jeremy has significant experience handling FLSA wage and hour matters, having litigated a number of misclassification, overtime, and minimum wage collective and class actions. He is also proficient in analyzing, editing and drafting human resources policies, employment agreements, severance and release agreements, offer letters, and other similar employment documents, and he has conducted numerous complete HR compliance audits and employee misclassification audits.
Jeremy also has extensive experience drafting, enforcing, and defending non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, as well as protecting trade secrets. He has a demonstrated track record of winning non-compete litigation in state and federal courts, having obtained numerous temporary restraining orders, preliminary and permanent injunctions, and several significant damages awards.
Jeremy regularly counsels small and emerging businesses on the formation and implementation of workplace policies and procedures. This advice includes identifying potential areas of exposure, formulating solutions to protect growing businesses, and training staff in personnel administration procedures.
Jeremy writes and speaks extensively on employment and non-compete law. He is a co-editor of the Missouri Employment Law Letter, a monthly publication for Missouri HR professionals, and is also the exclusive author of a recurring employment law column in PavingPro Magazine, an industry publication with nationwide circulation.
Finally, Jeremy serves as outside general counsel to three non-profit organizations.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., Graduate Certificate in Dispute Resolution; Dean's List; Curator's Scholarship Recipient; MU Law Negotiation Competition Finalist; Mizzou Law Ambassadors; Law School Representative, Mizzou Graduate Professional Council)
- Olin Business School at Washington University (B.S., Business Administration, Dean's List)
Major Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
- Quoted, "Right-to-work advocates dealt blow in Missouri," Human Resources News, August 28, 2017
- Co-Author, "Missouri right-to-work law set to take effect," Human Resources News, August 14, 2017
- Quoted, "Solar eclipse presents opportunities for fun at work, but be careful," HR Hero Line, August 11, 2017
- Author, "Heavy workload not enough for Kansas City attorney's wrongful discharge claim," Missouri Employment Law Letter, July 2017, and HR Daily Advisor, August 10, 2017
- Author, "Policies designed to protect employees may do more harm than good," Missouri Employment Law Letter, October 2014, and Diversity Insight, December 20, 2015
- Presenter, "Pregnancy in the Workplace—the Recent US Supreme Case and Beyond," Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL), November 2015
- Presenter, "Social Media in the Workplace," Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Annual Long-Term Care Provider Meeting, November 2015
- Co-presenter, "Noncompete Agreements: Worthwhile Protections or Empty Gestures?" Armstrong Teasdale CLE, November 2015
- Presenter, 2015 Wage and Hour Master Class: The Advanced Interactive Workshop for Missouri Employers, October 2015
- Presenter, BLR FMLA Master Class for Missouri Employers, September 2015
- Co-presenter, "Secure Your Operation: Protecting Trade Secrets and Ensuring Strong Non-Competes," Armstrong Teasdale CLE seminar, July 2015
- Author, "Researcher's Overtime Claim Fails under Learned Professional Exemption," Missouri Employment Law Letter, July 2015
- Presenter, "The Game of LIFE," Armstrong Teasdale Employment & Labor Mid-Year review, June 2015
- Presenter, “When Policies Designed to Protect Employees Do More Harm Than Good,” HRMA Annual Legal Roundtable, February 2015
- Author, "Employee Fails to Prove He Was Constructively Discharged," Missouri Employment Law Letter, February 2015
- Presenter, “Employee Misclassifications: Exempt Status and Independent Contractors,” Columbia Business Times Master’s Series, October 2014
- Author, "Don’t Judge a Book By Its Cover: Is Obesity a Disability Under the ADA?" Missouri Employment Law Letter, July 2014
- Author “Independent Contractor or Employee? Clean Up Your Worker Classifications,” Missouri Employment Law Letter, February 2014
- Co-Author, "Missouri Supreme Court Narrows Discrimination Exemption for Religious Organizations," Missouri Employment Law Letter, November 2013
- Co-Author, "Missouri Supreme Court Changes Rules for Discrimination Charges," Missouri Employment Law Letter, October 2013
- Author, "Supreme Court Update: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center v. Nassar," American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Labor & Employment eNewsletter (Fall 2013)
- Author, "No Job For You! Perception Doesn’t Always Equal Reality,” Missouri Employment Law Letter, June 2013
- Author, “Discriminatory Failure To Hire: What an Interviewer Doesn’t Know Won’t Hurt Him," Missouri Employment Law Letter, December 2012
- Author, "Transgender Discrimination: The New Appearance of Sex Discrimination," Missouri Employment Law Letter, August 2012
- Presenter, "Religious Accommodation in the Workplace," HRMA 2012 Annual Legal Update (March 2012)
- Author, "Political Discrimination: The Elephant in the Room?" Missouri Employment Law Letter, March 2012
- Author, "Public Employment: For the Good of the Service?" Missouri Employment Law Letter, January 2012
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2014-present)
- Recognized by the Missouri Bar for inclusion in the "2011 Pro Bono Wall of Fame"
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri