Charles S. Plumb
About Charlie's Practice
Charles S. Plumb represents management in all phases of employment law and labor relations. Much of his practice is dedicated to counseling employers on compliance with a broad range of state and federal employment laws and regulations and educating management on best practices for avoiding disputes arising from the employer/employee relationship. He also has extensive litigation experience before federal and state courts, regulatory and administrative agencies, and in arbitration matters involving claims of discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliatory discharge, breach of contract, and constitutional law violations.
His labor practice includes representing management in labor union negotiations and training, collective bargaining, and grievance arbitration.
Charlie is a member of the American Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section, the Oklahoma Bar Association's Labor Council, and the Media Law Resource Center's Employment Law Committee. He is also a frequent speaker and author on workplace issues.
Charlie's achievements in employment law have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Oklahoma Super Lawyers, and the Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, where he was lauded as "an impressive public speaker who utilizes his vast experience to effectively defend clients." Researchers at Chambers & Partners also quoted market observers as admiring him for his "practicality of advice and specialized knowledge of complex legal issues," with sources commenting that he "immediately commands respect, is always up to date and knows how to handle a problem."
- Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1982
- Editor, The Ohio State Law Journal
- Southern Methodist University, B.B.A., 1979
Major Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Editor, Oklahoma Employment Law Letter
- Quoted, "Supreme Court's action on transgender rights keeps employers watching," Human Resources News, March 7, 2017
- Quoted, "Up-to-date handbook a vital tool for onboarding, training, and more," HR Hero Line, March 3, 2017
- Presenter, "'On-Call' and 'Show Up' Pay Issues Create Backlash of Legislation and Litigation" (video), Advanced Employment Issues Symposium, November 10, 2016
- Presenter, "Advantages & Disadvantages for Employers Who Use Variable Work Schedules" (video), Advanced Employment Issues Symposium, November 10, 2016
- Author, "EEOC issues bathroom guidelines for transgender employees," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, June 2016, and Diversity Insight, July 17, 2016
- Author, "Oklahoma Supreme Court OK's vomiting nurse's wrongful discharge claim," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, May 2016, and HR.BLR.com, June 22, 2016
- Author, "Documentation, consistency protect employer from FMLA retaliation claim," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, March 2016, and HR.BLR.com, 4/25/2016
- Author, "Drones in the workplace: tips for handling new technology," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, January 2016, and Technology for HR Blog, February 17, 2016
- Speaker, "Why should employers consider offering paid leave?" and "Advantages for employers that provide paid leave"(videos), Advanced Employment Issues Symposium, Las Vegas, November 5, 2015
- Author, "Oklahoma court tosses negligent training and supervision claims," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, August 2015, and HR.BLR.com, September 2, 2015
- Author, "ADA: When do disabilities pose a ‘direct threat’ in the workplace?," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, April 2015, and HR Hero Line, May 11, 2015
- Author, "Maintaining a religion-neutral workplace," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, February 2014, and Diversity Insight, March 17, 2014
- Author, "Social media training for your employees," Oklahoma Employment Law Letter, February 2014, and Technology for HR, February 24, 2014
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for employment law
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, where he was lauded as "an impressive public speaker who utilizes his vast experience to effectively defend clients"
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
Admitted to Practice
Oklahoma, U.S. District Courts, Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma, U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit